A truly unique sencha!
As other customers have mentioned this tea has notes of pistachio, kale, chestnuts, gingerbread -- mildly reminiscent of a fruity, nutty oolong. I would also add apple, vanilla and chai spices to that list. Quite a lovely experience!
I used the recommended amount of 0.6 grams of tea for every fluid ounce of water. My preferred brew temperature was 140-175 F (60-80 C) as follows:
first brew: 140-150 F (60-66 C) for 60 seconds
second brew: 140-160F (60-71 C) for 45 seconds
third brew: 175 F (80 C) for 75 seconds
The recommended brew temperature of 175 F yielded stronger vegetal flavors (i.e. kale, asparagus, green onion). I prefer brewing at lower temperatures for the first and second brew since that brings out the sweeter 'fruit and spice' flavors.
Also, I like to brew 6.4 grams in 1 1/3 cup of water three times; and then mix all three brews to get a 4 cup pot of tea with many layers of flavor.
Back to product details
Ratings and Reviews of Zairai Organic Kirishima Sencha
- RosanaJan 30, 2020, 02:25
- PhilMär 23, 2018, 01:48A smooth, unfussy tea-companion when out and about - despite, or maybe just because, it is a Zairai. Great as a daily-drinker, good quality for the price.
- iamsmallDez 10, 2017, 04:54I bought this with a broad selection of teas with my first order. I love it. I drink it first thing every morning; there is a sweetness about it that always starts the day out well.
- KatNov 8, 2017, 02:59A real treat for the price. This is the tea I drink daily at work - not too much fuss when it comes to brewing, and yet the taste is far from being cheap. The first two steeps are full of flavour, the third one perhaps less so, but is still enjoyable. Will very likely be coming back for more.
- JanetAug 29, 2017, 03:13I really like this tea. It has a nice flavor - a bit different (I'm afraid I don't know how to describe how it's different, but it is a subtle difference). And with its low price, it is an excellent buy.
- Áron MacsiczaMär 22, 2017, 06:49Recently I ordered more teas so I got lost but if my memory serves me well in this sencha I felt a peculiar taste resembling something like gingerbread. Interesting tea, I will very likely buy it again in the near future!
- Daniel MulfordMär 8, 2017, 07:05Relatively light, with a finish that somehow reminds me of seaweed, which isn't a bad thing. I like to use more leaf, and brew for long periods with low temperatures.
- Toby KlingerFeb 1, 2017, 02:45This tea has a unique and at the same time classic flavor, however I found that unlike some of the other teas I've gotten from O-cha, this one is only high quality for the first steeping, and is pretty much flavorless after that.
- Oleksandr AzaDez 5, 2016, 05:35This is my first tea from o-cha.
Didn't have any expectations and really loved it.
I drink it almost every day now.
Porcelain teapot, 2 teaspoons, ~100-120 ml water at 175F.
First brew (60 sec) is delicious. Second (20 sec) lacks some of the notes of the first brew, but is still very tasty. Third brew (30 sec) quenches my thirst for tea for the day (I usually drink this tea in the evening).
The best way to end the day - relax with a good book and a cup of this tea :).
- Jacques WegierNov 7, 2016, 19:37Lovely Sencha ! Reminds me of some Taiwan High Mountain Oolong. Subtle, great aroma and a very surprising price. First brew: 1 teaspoon / 90ml water / 79C/ 60 sec