Organic Zairai Sencha - From Kirishima
Grown organically in the mountainous Kirishima area of Kagoshima Prefecture. Lightly steamed, organic Kirishima Zairai sencha has a light yellow green color to it, medium body, and rather unique taste and aroma due to it's high iron content. Zairai means "native" in Japanese and refers to the fact that this tea is from no known modern cultivar and is a close derivitive of the original tea plants imported into Japan from China in the 14th century. Since it is "wild" and grown from seed instead of cloning, there is quite a lot of variation between individual plants which gives the leaf a non-uniform leaf structure and charactaristics of a blend. Although it is considered a hardier plant to culitviate, the lack of leaf conformity, in addition to lower yield than recent clones does not encourage growers to grow it means you will not come across this unique tea often.
Very delicious, here's your chance to experience a green tea with characteristics of the teas of old Japan. As with all of our loose leaf green teas, packaged in nitrogen flushed packaging.
Available in 100 gram packages
- $12.73 USD
- Poids110 g
- Loose Leaf
- Ease of BrewingMedium - Brew w/ care
- Net Weight100 g / 3.52 oz
- Growing RegionKirishima
- HarvestFirst and/or Shincha
- ShadingFull Sun
- First infusions per Pkg22
- Leaf (dry weight grams) to Water (1 fl oz / 30 ml) Ratio (recommended).6 g to 1 oz/30 ml
- Brew Temp (℃/℉ - recommended )79℃ (175℉)
- Brew Time (Seconds)60-90
- Rosanajanv. 30, 2020, 03:25A truly unique sencha!
As other customers have mentioned this tea has notes of pistachio, kale, chestnuts, gingerbread -- mildly reminiscent of a fruity, nutty oolong. I would also add apple, vanilla and chai spices to that list. Quite a lovely experience!
I used the recommended amount of 0.6 grams of tea for every fluid ounce of water. My preferred brew temperature was 140-175 F (60-80 C) as follows:
first brew: 140-150 F (60-66 C) for 60 seconds
second brew: 140-160F (60-71 C) for 45 seconds
third brew: 175 F (80 C) for 75 seconds
The recommended brew temperature of 175 F yielded stronger vegetal flavors (i.e. kale, asparagus, green onion). I prefer brewing at lower temperatures for the first and second brew since that brings out the sweeter 'fruit and spice' flavors.
Also, I like to brew 6.4 grams in 1 1/3 cup of water three times; and then mix all three brews to get a 4 cup pot of tea with many layers of flavor.
- Philmars 23, 2018, 01:48A smooth, unfussy tea-companion when out and about - despite, or maybe just because, it is a Zairai. Great as a daily-drinker, good quality for the price.
- iamsmalldéc. 10, 2017, 05:54I bought this with a broad selection of teas with my first order. I love it. I drink it first thing every morning; there is a sweetness about it that always starts the day out well.
- Katnov. 8, 2017, 03:59A real treat for the price. This is the tea I drink daily at work - not too much fuss when it comes to brewing, and yet the taste is far from being cheap. The first two steeps are full of flavour, the third one perhaps less so, but is still enjoyable. Will very likely be coming back for more.
- Janetaoût 29, 2017, 03:13I really like this tea. It has a nice flavor - a bit different (I'm afraid I don't know how to describe how it's different, but it is a subtle difference). And with its low price, it is an excellent buy.
- Áron Macsiczamars 22, 2017, 06:49Recently I ordered more teas so I got lost but if my memory serves me well in this sencha I felt a peculiar taste resembling something like gingerbread. Interesting tea, I will very likely buy it again in the near future!
- Daniel Mulfordmars 8, 2017, 08:05Relatively light, with a finish that somehow reminds me of seaweed, which isn't a bad thing. I like to use more leaf, and brew for long periods with low temperatures.
- Toby Klingerfévr. 1, 2017, 03:45This tea has a unique and at the same time classic flavor, however I found that unlike some of the other teas I've gotten from O-cha, this one is only high quality for the first steeping, and is pretty much flavorless after that.
- avril 11, 2022, 03:14
When will your original Zairai Sencha come back? I didn't care for the replacement at all.avril 11, 2022, 03:17
As of April 11, 2022 - we don't know yet, we'll have a better idea in about 2 weeks.
- mai 7, 2019, 22:50
Do you know when in May Organic Zairai Sencha - From Kirishima is going to be back in stock?
Thank youmai 8, 2019, 00:19
Should be within the next 2 weeks, still waiting on this one.