Organic Kurasawa Sencha
Grown organically in Kirishima Kagoshima, Kagoshima Organic Sencha "Kurasawa" is an organic light steamed sencha green tea which has a rather intense green-yellow color to it and carries a a nice grassy aroma.
Unique to this sencha is it's high catechin levels - this green tea has approximately 1.5 to 2 times higher levels of catechins than regular sencha! For this reason it is also packs a very astringent punch to it so brew with care at lower tempertures. If you are looking for maximum green tea health benefits and high levels of catechins, this is your tea! If brewed with care it is very delicious and flavorable, we are confident you will enjoy this product. As with all of our loose leaf green teas, packaged in nitrogen flushed packaging.
Price shown includes 100 grams of tea per package!
- $13.40 USD
- Shipping Weight110 g
- Loose Leaf
- Ease of BrewingSomewhat Difficult - May take some practice to get it perfect.
- Net Weight100 g / 3.52 oz
- Growing RegionKagoshima Prefecture
- HarvestFirst and/or Shincha
- ShadingPartial Shading (Kabusecha)
- First infusions per Pkg22
- Leaf (dry weight grams) to Water (1 fl oz / 30 ml) Ratio (recommended).6 g to 1 oz/30 ml
- Brew Temp (℃/℉ - recommended )71℃ (160℉)
- Brew Time (Seconds)60
- NotesOur strongest green tea with the highest levels of catechins, brew with care!
- Justine HolmesMay 8, 2023, 07:39A tea that is very sensitive to heat and steeping time. With my loose tea making skills I often over did it and the tea wasn't as good as it could be. When I got it right I was surprised at how amazing it was but I found it hard to get it right.O-Cha.com Japanese Green Tea & MatchaMay 15, 2023, 03:13Usually this tea is blended with other teas, I think we're the only ones who sell it completely unblended. The reason we carry the unblended version is because it's extremely high in catachins, probably higher than any other sencha. This is why it's hard to brew - it can be bitter so it needs a gentle, lower temperature brew and shorter brew time.
- Ryan HodgesMar 22, 2023, 23:06This brings the astringency required to deliver a long lasting complex aftertaste. A challenging tea that rewards the one who pushes the astringency envelope. After the "bitter" comes the "sweet". Life lesson in a teacup.
- ianMay 17, 2020, 07:12favorite tea i've bought from ocha so far. very natural grassy green taste. definitely more of an experience than just as a nice tasting hot beverage, elegant but still quite simple
- hblazeNov 15, 2018, 06:29Sweet, fruity and delicate. Great tea.
- Alon AgmonAug 12, 2018, 12:17Very nice tea! grassy and citrusy.
Not hard to brew at all, just make sure water temp is low...
- AnnaSep 27, 2017, 09:44This sencha has a nice grassy scent and flavor. Some teas have a scent that is grassy, but the flavor isn't as bold. Not so with this tea; the flavor matches the scent. I'm careful to keep the water temperature as indicated on the bag and I think that does the trick. I get 3-4 steepings from a spoonful.
- Pavol GolisSep 22, 2017, 20:55very nice one for the price, leaves are not as powdery as with other teas here. Strong grassy stench not unpleasant, but noticeable. Have yet to test if its on match with Benifuuki in terms of dealing with allergies during season.
- Sam SchecterAug 28, 2017, 05:40Delicious and supple green. Great brew for the price.
- Sep 27, 2023, 03:53
Is it good for cold brew?Sep 27, 2023, 11:41
Probably not ideal for cold brew but good question, I've never tried it with this one.
- May 6, 2020, 23:09
Is this a 2020 Sincha?May 6, 2020, 23:33
Yes, as of the date of this writing and for about a month, this is shincha.
- Dec 18, 2018, 22:02
Hi I was wondering how often you restock this tea. I’m very interested in trying it. Thanks!Dec 18, 2018, 22:38
Unfortunately we just ran out of stock on that and we won't have it in again until the 2019 harvest. It was super popular.
- Nov 9, 2018, 13:32
I would like to know if this tea is medium steam or light steam? Because the tag said Medium Steamed but the product description and product detail said it is light steamed.Nov 9, 2018, 16:44
Our current version from 2018 is light steamed.
20 – Reward points
- $13.40 USD
19 – Reward points
- $12.73 USD
19 – Reward points
- $12.73 USD
21 – Reward points
- $14.07 USD
- Out of stock
23 – Reward points
- $15.41 USD