Uji Gyokuro Shōun
A very high quality first-flush gyokuro provided to us by another famous, centures old firm in Uji Japan. Uji Gyokuro Shōun is shade grown before harvesting, giving it a greener color and sweeter taste. Once you learn to make it properly, you wil be hooked for life! Be sure to read our brewing instructions as it is brewed differently than sencha: How to Brew Gyokuro - Step-by-Step Instructions!
Available in 100gm packages.
This product is also available forautomatic monthly delivery!
- $19.04 USD
- Shipping Weight110 g
- Loose Leaf
- Ease of BrewingSomewhat Difficult - May take some practice to get it perfect.
- Net Weight100 g / 3.52 oz
- Growing Region100% Uji
- HarvestFirst and/or Shincha
- BreedGokou, Samidori, Uji-hikari
- ShadingFull Shade (Gyokuro / Matcha)
- First infusions per Pkg12
- Leaf (dry weight grams) to Water (1 fl oz / 30 ml) Ratio (recommended)1.2 g to 1 oz/30 ml
- Brew Temp (℃/℉ - recommended )60℃ (140℉)
- Brew Time (Seconds)150-180
- NotesPre-heat all vessels, brew with care!
- Nancy HallFeb 11, 2017, 00:53This one is my favorite green tea. Sweet undertones and brews perfectly at 165 degrees for 3 minutes and 45 seconds.
- Alex GFeb 2, 2017, 13:53I found this to be just as enjoyable as the very popular and similarly-priced Yame Gyokuro.
- Toby KlingerFeb 2, 2017, 00:08Not quite as flavorful as the Yame more syrupy and not as refreshing, I would recommend the Yame if you are trying to decide.
- AaronJul 30, 2016, 05:13I enjoy both this and the Yame (same price). I recommend trying one of each and rotating to appreciate the subtleties of each. Both are delightful.
- Jason MackisocJul 21, 2014, 12:00It's very light, but sweet with nice umami flavour. I can get four or five 90-100ml infusions out of it and each time it's subtly different, but consistently sweet. It's not in your face, and you appreciate it as it tingles your lips and then afterwards with traces of lingering flavour. And for less than $30 for 100g it's a great value, and a good Gyokuro for someone who prefers theirs light and refreshing.
- WAI MAN LAMMar 25, 2014, 18:36Nice everyday gyokuro.
For this price and the amount ( 100g ) it is excellent.
The umami flavour is nice in the 1st infusion, less in the 2nd infusion. In comparison to other gyokuro, the umami flavour of this tea diminish quickly from the 3rd infusion.
Would buy again for everyday gyokuro.
- Russell KarbachApr 22, 2013, 12:00Uji Gyokuro Shou-Un is an excellent gyokuro for its price.
The first cup has a noticeable thickness in the mouth and on the tongue ,good flavor:smooth finish; Although not as rich as Uji Gyokuro "Tsurujirushi",for everyday and drinking at this price I must agree with the previous review'